Sunday, June 7, 2009

Atlanta Steampunk Steamfest


Atlanta Steamfest 2009

Kay, so the Steamfest is on for this weekend at the Academy Theater in Atlanta. You know you want to be there. There will be two readings of a steampunk rendition of Shakespeare's The Tempest, we'll be doing high tea, a steampunk parade, basic corset-making, improv, steam-music, and everything else a mini-fest can manage to pull off in two days.

The wife will be pushing all kinds of steampunk books as a vendor. I'll be running a panel on Steampunk in Literature from 3-4pm. It will be a fairly in depth historical synopsis of the movement from it's basis in the 'Edisonades' of the mid to late 19th century on through the actual movement beginning in the 70s. It will also include a discussion of noteworthy and contemporary authors along with their writings in how they've all come to, and continue to, shape the genre. It'll be riveting, I assure you.

After the event, I'll list whatever inventory we may have remaining to see if anyone might be interested in it. I'll also probably end up posting a synopsis of what I go over in the panel; 'cuz honestly, can you ever really know enough about niche little subculture literary movements? I think not.

Also - 20,000 words of my first novel in the bag. Base.

No comments:

Post a Comment