Sunday, June 21, 2009

Hermit Crabs and Brain Meat

First off - 28,000 words of the first draft in the bag. The sound you hear in the background would be my balls dragging on the ground. By the end of the year, I'll be done and ass-deep in rewrites/revisions.

So, the wife thoroughly surprised me today (you would never know that I *always* misspell the word 'surprise' the first time around - thank you auto-spellcheck feature). She built me a website on WordPress. I know, right? Freakin' sweet! So yeah, 'll be updating both there and here for a while. (www.malleablereality.com)

Why both blogs, do you ask? Blogspot seems easier to use and frankly, I'm kinda slow when it comes to certain things. I need to get somewhat used to this. Seriously, I can speak some Chinese, Japanese and Russian, can be yelled at in the most mutilated French you can manage, and keep myself from being shot in the face during a botched robbery in any romance language. But, tell me to figure out the current state of computer web programming languages and I'm gonna give you the sad bottom lip until you stop torturing me. So, I'll be hacking through WordPress and I'll figure it out eventually (yay for youtube tutorials!) .

Stuff like this has made me more and more aware of my personal intelligence these days. It's been questioned by several people. For good or ill, I'll take it for what it is - the universe asking me what's going on with all that.

In short, I'm not really sure. Sometimes I feel dumb, real dumb. It comes from being a jock that hangs around geeks. I have degree in International Politics with extensive experience in so-called 'critical languages', so I'm not exactly hurting for brainmeats - but I had trouble following the directions to put an IKEA bookshelf together properly. A credit to the Sweds, though, the damned Frankenstein thing is 4 years old and still holds true.

So, I've spent like an hour trying to type and re-type all kinds of theories and responses about questioning myself, but in short, I basically seem to be trying to justify my own intelligence or lack there of. That isn't healthy. I'll think on the subject and post a better response sometime.

Also, it's Father's Day. I'm the proud birth father of one cute little boy and one cute little girl. We adopted out for various reasons, but it's an open situation and we'll definitely be a part of their lives. In fact, me and the wife will be visiting them this summer. Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment