Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Update

The convention went well. Buddha Belly managed to do some good business but, more importantly, we got our name out there and made a few new friends.

The Steampunk rendition of 'The Tempest' was absolutely awesome. We're hoping it moves forward into full production one day. We'll be in the front row on opening night. I think it's kind of neat that it went over so well. Especially, considering the fact that I wear a quote from the original play around my neck on a pendant.

My panel on Steampunk in Literature went well. I hoped so. I stayed up until after 3am the night before making sure I had enough notes. In the end, like I tend to, I ended up bouncing around subjects. I got compliments, though. I'll take them all with a smile.

Today, I broke the 24,000 word mark. I'm proud of myself. The KinkyHausFrau is proud, too. Of course, as soon as she said that I'm a writer well into my 1st draft, I tell her I want 25,000 words before I buy into myself being a real writer. Maybe 30,000. Artists are their own toughest critics.

I have absolutely no idea how many words this story will end up being, but the pieces are working together. I'm enjoying fostering the growth of my characters. I've already watched some of them come and go, I've added and subtracted a lot. I've even killed particular story arcs. It was worth it, because it gave other branches more room to grow.

Thus far, someone who was originally a type of lackey has become the main antagonist. I'll enjoy showing a villain in deeper shades of gray. It's not all cut and dry - good guy, bad guy. There are people who are doing things you don't mind and people doing things that you do mind. If you mind, you get involved. Plain and simple, but it doesn't make them bad.

I'm digging the fae character I have. And I'm trying not to let the species of the characters overshadow the story or the characters themselves. Their supernatural natures are a part of them, but not their focus. Even the Alpha Wolf has a mortgage to attend to.

No comments:

Post a Comment